? It is a screening test for cervical cancer which gives a great chance of a cure.
? It considered as an essential part of a woman’s routine health care.
? It detects the abnormal cervical cells that may develop in the future.
? Doctors recommend repeating Pap smear every 3 years for women ages 21-65.
? Or every 5 years if ( Pap smear + HPV test ) in women older than age 30.
? The reason of combines Pap smear with human papillomavirus (HPV) test, that because of this virus causes cervical cancer in some women.
• Avoid intercourse ; any vaginal medicines for 2 days before the test.
• should not be done during the menstrual period.
1. a woman lies on an exam table, then a doctor inserts a speculum into her vagina to widen it and the cervix can be seen.
2. Collect the cells by a wooden or plastic scraper and/or a cervical brush and are then placed in a vial of liquid preservative for Pap analysis
– normal cervical cells mean a negative result.
– abnormal or unusual cells mean a positive result. a doctor may ask for a colposcopy to examine the tissues of the cervix