COSMETIC TOXICITY IN CURRENTE INDIAN SCENARIO.INTRODUCTION
WHAT IS COSMETIC:
“cosmetic” means any article intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled or sprayed on, or introduced into, or otherwise applied to, the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance, and includes any article intended for use as a component of cosmetic. 1
Cosmetic products like:
Eye and face makeup products
In this day people using a large amount of cosmetic or beauty product, in these produces there are widely used of different types of chemicals. Example phthalates, lead (Pb), Polyethylene glycols, parabens etc. these synthetic compounds are an especially tricky type of body contamination since they enter the human body through numerous courses. Around 50% to 60% of chemicals used in cosmetics are absorbed by our skin and then distributed to different organs of body through bloodstream 2, 3.
Many kinds of Preservatives used in cosmetic produces, they harm our skin and body. Many types of the ingredient present in cosmetics product like:
Three mixes and parabens salts are utilized for their bactericidal and fungicidal. There are compelling additives in numerous kinds of equations. They are found in shampoos, business lotions, shaving gels, individual ointments, topical/parenteral pharmaceuticals, suntan items, cosmetics, and toothpaste. They are likewise utilized as sustenance added substances. Parabens cause breast cancer.
Chemical formula of parabens is: (para-hydroxybenzoate), where R = an alkyl group
Since parabens have increased such a terrible rep, a few organizations currently utilize phenoxyethanol, yet phenoxyethanol isn’t the great witch of the north! It has a considerable lot of the same hurtful impacts. Japan as of late prohibited phenoxyethanol in beautifying agents, and the U.S. Nourishment and Medication Organization put out a buyer ready cautioning that it can “discourage the focal sensory system and may cause retching and looseness of the bowels” in newborn children. Keep up a vital separation from both parabens and phenoxyethanol in your skincare!
Why Destructive? :
Parabens effectively enter the skin and are associated with meddling with hormone work (endocrine interruption). Parabens can imitate estrogen, the essential female sex hormone. In one investigation, parabens were distinguished in human bosom malignancy tissues, bringing up issues about a conceivable relationship between parabens in beauty care products and disease. Parabens may likewise meddle with male conceptive capacities. Moreover, thinks about demonstrate that methylparaben connected on the skin responds with UVB prompting expanded skin maturing and DNA harm.4
2. Phthalates or phthalate esters:
Phthalates are used as a dissolving agent for cosmetics and other materials. They are used in more than hundreds of products like raincoats lubricating oils plastic (PVC) and cosmetics (shampoos, soaps, nail polishes etc.).
There are two types of phthalates.
1) High phthalates: incorporate those with 9-13 carbon molecules in their compound spine, which gives them expanded permanency and sturdiness. The most widely recognized kinds of high phthalates incorporate di isononyl phthalate (DINP), di isodecyl phthalate (DIDP) and dipropyl heptyl phthalate (DPHP). High phthalates are ordinarily utilized in PVC items, for example, wire and link, flooring, divider covering, self-cement films, covered textures and material and vehicle applications.
2) Low phthalates: incorporate those with 3-8 carbon molecules in their compound spine. The most well-known sorts of low phthalates incorporate di (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) and dibutyl phthalate (DBP). Low phthalates are regularly utilized in restorative gadgets, universally useful PVC, inks and beautifying agents or cosmetic produces. 5
Chemical formula of Phthalates: (General chemical structure of orthophthalates)
While phthalates is a huge class of chemicals and, several have been shown to have negative health impacts: butyl benzyl phthalate (BBZP), dibutyl phthalate (DNBP), di-2-Ethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP), diethyl phthalate (DEP), di-butyl phthalate (DBP), benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP), di-n-octyl phthalate (DnOP), dipentyl phthalate (DPP), di-isobutyl phthalate (DIBP), di-isononyl phthalate (DINP), di-n-octyl phthalate (DNOP), dicyclohexyl phthalate (DCHP).6
In this all class of chemical mostly DEHP, DEP, DBP found in beauty product or cosmetic products. Nail polish contains DBP.
3. Quaternium-15 and other formaldehyde-discharging
You may definitely realize that treated wood, for example, particleboard, can discharge formaldehyde, and however did you know to keep an eye out for it in your cosmetics?
At the point when a few synthetic compounds separate, they discharge hurtful formaldehyde gas, delegated a known human cancer-causing agent by the U.S. Bureau of Wellbeing and Human Scientists and the Global Organization for Exploration on Disease.
The primary hazard is through inward breath. The European Association (E.U.) commands that formaldehyde-discharging additives in beauty care products be named all things considered on the off chance that they surpass .05%. For those outside the E.U., we need to get shrewd with our fixing confirming.
•BHUT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
•Quarternium-15, Quaternium-18, Quaternium-26
Quaternium-15 is one of the more typical ones, utilized in mascara, squeezed powders, and eyeliners. Notwithstanding conceivably causing disease, this fixing can cause skin sensitivities and bothering. It has a place with a class of mixes called quaternary ammonium mixes, or “quats.”
Quats have numerous utilizations—as additives, surfactants, disinfectants and molding operators. Pick items that utilization regular options that perform comparative capacities, for example, rosemary, nectar, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed concentrate, and vitamin E.
4. Peg compounds:
Polyethylene glycols, or PEGs, are oil or petroleum based exacerbates that are utilized to thicken, relax, and gelatinize beautifiers, making them a typical fixing in cream-based items. The principle issue with PEGs is that they are frequently tainted with ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane.nds that are utilized to thicken, mollify, and gelatinize makeup, making them a typical fixing in cream-b ased items. The fundamental issue with PEGs is that they are regularly debased with ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane.
The number by PEG shows what number of units of ethylene glycol they involve, for example, PEG-4 or PEG-150. The lower the number, the more effortlessly the item assimilates into your skin.
Ethylene oxide is a known human cancer-causing agent, conceivably destructive to the sensory system and human improvement. 1,4-dioxane is a conceivable human cancer-causing agent that can stay in nature for extensive stretches of time without debasing.
5) Oxybenzone or benzophenone-3:
It is an organic compound. Oxybenzone has a place with the class of fragrant ketones known as benzophenones. It is a part of numerous sunscreen creams and is added to plastics to restrict UV degradation.
Chemical formula of Oxybenzone: (IUPAC name: (2-Hydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl) phenylmethanone)
Oxybenzone is utilized in plastics as a bright light safeguard and stabilizer. It is utilized, alongside different benzophenones, in sunscreens, hair showers, and beauty care products since they help keep potential harm from daylight presentation. It is additionally found, in fixations up to 1%, in nail shines. Oxybenzone can likewise be utilized as a photostabilizer for engineered tars.7
6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS):
Sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS), synonymously sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), or sodium laurilsulfate, is an engineered natural compound with the recipe CH3 (CH2)11SO4 Na.
The sodium salt is of an organosulfate class of organics. SDS is a typical part of numerous local cleaning, individual cleanliness and corrective, pharmaceutical, and sustenance items, and in addition to modern and business cleaning and item plans. 8
Like every single cleanser surfactant, sodium lauryl sulfate expels oils from the skin and can cause skin and eye irritation. It has been appealed to disturb the skin of the face, with drawn out and steady presentation (over 60 minutes) in youthful grown-ups. 9
This surfactant can be found in excess of 90 percent of individual care and cleaning items (think frothing items). SLS are known to be skin, lung, and eye aggravations or irritations. A noteworthy worry about SLS is its capability to interface and join with different synthetic compounds to shape nitrosamines, a cancer-causing agent. These blends can prompt a large group of different issues like kidney and respiratory harm. They can be found in the cleanser, body wash/chemical, mascara and skin inflammation treatment.
It is generally utilized antimicrobial synthetic that is a known endocrine disruptor — particularly thyroid and conceptive or reproductive hormones, and a skin aggravation or irritation. It has expanded commercially and is now a common ingredient in soaps (0.10-1.00%), shampoos, deodorants, toothpastes, mouthwashes, cleaning supplies, and pesticides. It is part of consumer products, including kitchen utensils, toys, bedding, socks, and trash bags. 10
The chemical formula of Triclosan is: (IUPAC name: 5-Chloro-2-(2,4-dichlorophenoxy)phenol)
Antioxidant in beauty produces:
Antioxidants are those substances who offer the protection to the cell membrane and by neutralizing the oxygen molecules and free radicals they also prevent the stress to the tissues of the body. Examples of antioxidant are Vitamin-E (tocopherol), Vitamin-C (L-Ascorbic acid), Vitamin-B3, Green tea, Lycopene, Genistein etc. Antioxidant is a very helpful active compound or elements for the manufacturing of beauty product. There are three primary types of antioxidants found in nature.
1. Antioxidant enzymes,
2. Preventive antioxidants,
3. Chain breaking or Phytochemicals antioxidants.
Antioxidant enzymes: Cell reinforcement proteins catalyze responses associated with the transformation of free radicals to oxygen and water. They incorporate catalase, glutathione peroxides, and superoxide dismutase.
Preventive antioxidants: Preventive cancer prevention agents are the metal restricting proteins that capacity to sequester free iron or copper to avoid creation of the hydroxyl radical from other free radicals.
Chain breaking and Phytochemicals antioxidants: Chain breaking cell reinforcements avoid engendering of oxidative chain responses by ending free radicals or the receptive results of atoms that have been harmed by free radicals. Phytochemicals are the cancer prevention agents that are normally utilized by plants to ensure themselves against free radicals. Studies demonstrate that people who eat wellsprings of phytochemicals additionally advantage from the cancer prevention agent properties of the plant. 12
Niacinamide (vitamin B3) is a great cell reinforcement that has appeared to display mitigating and depigmenting properties. It has additionally appeared to enhance the surface and tone of the skin, and in addition lessen scarcely discernible differences, wrinkles, and hyper pigmentation. 13
Lycopene, great cell reinforcement, is a carotenoid found in red products of the soil. It is, truth is told, in charge of their red shading. Notwithstanding being a solid decision for your eating regimen, it’s an awesome decision for enhancing skin surface since it advances collagen generation and lessens the DNA harm that prompts wrinkles. To get the most advantage from this intense cancer prevention agent, you can either investigate healthy skin items that contain it in topical equations (Lycopene is effectively consumed by the skin). 13-14
What is Endocrine-disruptors:
The endocrine system of the body get disturbed by the chemical named as endocrine disruptors which will produce harmful effects on both human and animal’s reproductive, neurological, and immune system.
These disturbances can cause dangerous tumors, birth abandons, and other formative issue. The examples of Endocrine disruption are parabens, phthalates and UV filters, bisphenol A (BPA), DDT, Di (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), Triclosan etc.
Endocrine glands include:
Thyroid – produces thyroid hormone.
Adrenal – produce adrenaline.
Pancreas – produces insulin.
Pituitary – produces growth hormone.
Effect on body : Presentation to these synthetics at last influence the adjust of the body that could prompt various medical issues, including weight gain, hypothyroid, barrenness, adrenal uneven characters, estrogen strength, brought down sperm tallies, corpulence, diabetes, and certain sorts of growths. This can likewise influence the skin, the bodies biggest organ. 15
List of Endocrine-disruptors chemical like:
Endocrine-disruptors chemicals In which product it is found Effects on human body
Butylated compounds like:-Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) Lip products, hair products, makeup, sunscreen, antiperspirant/deodorant, fragrance, creams etc. effects in lung tissue
kidney cells damage
Changes in testosterone levels
stomach cancer 16,17,18
Zink oxide (ZnO2), Titanium dioxide (TiO2). Sunscreen, Skin Care Products with Sun Protection etc. DNA damage
May cause skin cancer
Breast cancer cell can grow up to 3.5 times.
Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA) Mostly used in every cosmetic product. Example Baby shampoo etc. Chronic effects on liver, blassed, and other organs.
It causes cancer.
OCTINOXATE; Octyl methoxycinnamate or (OMC)
Hair color products and shampoo, sunscreen, lipstick, nail polish, skin creams etc.
Growth in response to estrogen exposure as it increases cell proliferation.
It can disrupt thyroid function; it is an endocrine disruptor that mimics.
Ethylparaben, butylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben
Shampoo, conditioners, cleansers and scrubs It is present where the proportion of breast tumors is highest.
It mimics estrogen.
SYNTHETIC MUSKS Perfumes, sprays. Lotions, softeners, body wash, hair products etc. It causes breast cancer due to musk xylene, tonalide and musk ketone ; multiplication of estrogen-responsive in human.29
Tonalide are effected to lung and brain cell.30
Teflon Powder, lip balm, bronzer, shave gel, eye shadow, blush, anti- aging lotion etc. It causes breast cancer31 and high-blood pressure.32
List of more than 100 chemical substance that can be the endocrine disruptor. It can be pharmaceutical products or personal care products or pesticides.
No. Chemical name No. Chemical name
1 Toluene di-isocyanate 55 Ethylene thiourea
2 Trichloroethylene 56 Ethylurethane
3 Trinexapac-ethyl 57 Etofenprox
4 Vinclozolin 58 Fenoxaprop-P-ethyl
5 Ziram 59 Glufosinate ammonium
6 trans-1,2-Dichloroethylene 60 Fomesafen sodium
7 Triflumizole 61 Acrolein
8 Triphenyltin hydroxide (TPTH) 62 Acrylamide
9 Xylenes 63 Alachlor
10 Erythromycin 64 Alachlor ethanesulfonic acid (ESA)
11 Hexachlorocyclopentadiene 65 Alachlor oxanilic acid (OA)
12 Hexythiazox 66 alpha-Hexachlorocyclohexane
13 Isoxaben 67 Aniline
14 Lindane 68 Bensulide
15 Methyl tert-butyl ether 69 Benzene Benzo(a)pyrene (PAHs)
16 Hexane 70 Benzene
17 Hydrazine 71 HCFC-22
18 Lacto fen 72 Hexachlorobenzene
19 Methanol 73 Ethylbenzene
20 Metolachlor ethanesulfonic acid (ESA) 74 Ethylene glycol
21 Denatonium saccharide 75 Di(2-ethylhexyl) adipate
22 Dichloromethane 76 Dicrotophos
23 Diuron 77 Endothall
24 Epichlorohydrin 78 Erythromycin
25 Nitrobenzene 79 Metolachlor oxanilic acid (OA)
26 Nitroglycerin 80 Oxyfluorfen
27 N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone 81 1,1,1,2-Tetrachloroethane
28 N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) 82 1,1,1-Trichloroethane
29 n-Propylbenzene 83 1,1,2-Trichloroethane
30 o-Dichlorobenzene 84 1,1-Dichloroethane
31 o-Toluidine 85 1,1-Dichloroethylene
32 Oxydemeton-methyl 86 1,2,3-Trichloropropane
33 Thiophanate-methyl 87 1,2,4-Trichlorobenzene
34 Tetrachloroethylene 88 1,2-Dichloroethane
35 Terbufos sulfone 89 1,2-Dichloropropane
36 Terbufos 90 1,3-Dinitrobenzene
37 Styrene 91 Quizalofop-P-ethyl
38 sec-Butyl benzene 92 Quinoline
39 RDX 93 Quinclorac
40 Profenofos 94 Propionic acid
41 Picloram 95 polychlorinated biphenyls
42 Paclobutrazol 96 p-Dichlorobenzene
43 Pentachlorophenol 97 Perchlorate44 Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) 98 Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
45 Cyanamide 99 Cyromazine
46 Clomazone 100 Coumaphos
47 Clethodim 101 Clofentezine
48 Chlorobenzene 102 cis-1,2-Dichloroethylene
49 Butylated hydroxyanisole 103 Carbon tetrachloride
50 Acetochlor ethanesulfonic acid (ESA) 104 Acetochlor oxanilic acid (OA)
51 Acetamide 105 Acetochlor
52 4,4′-Methylenedianiline 106 Acetaldehyde
53 2-Methoxyethanol 107 2-Propen-1-ol
54 1,4-Dioxane 108 1-Butanol
33, 34, 35, 36
Aquatic life correlated with mode of action in Endocrine-disruptors chemicals.
Effect of uv resiation and cosmetic on human skin life
WHAT IS BIOACCUMULATION?
Bioaccumulation was disclosed to me by various medicinal services experts like this: A portion of your organs demonstration like channels for the body. They incorporate your liver, kidneys, lymph framework, and spleen. These organs resemble containers. They can sift through the garbage, however after some time, a few things settle to the base of the container. As the can keeps on filling, you get more broken down. You may not see it. Nonetheless, when that container turns out to be full and begins to flood, it will be extremely evident. Your body turns out to be excessively focused on the grounds that it can’t channel the poisons in the pail sufficiently quick. The side effects of poisonous quality are distinctive for everybody. They can incorporate hormone vacillations, male pattern baldness, skin break out, foggy vision, cerebrum mist, weariness, acid reflux, weight gain, injuries and rashes on the body, and numerous others. Some trust this is the start of where awesome illness and tumor shapes.
1. Drugs and cosmetic act 1940.
2. Thomas P (2008) Skin Deep: The Essential Guide to what’s in the Toiletries and cosmetic you use. Rodale an imprint of Pan Macmillan
3. https://www.annmariegianni.com/toxic-chemicals-in-makeup-industry/4. The International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) system.
5. https://phthalates.americanchemistry.com/6. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/10/phthalates-plastics-chemicals-research-analysis7. “Hazardous Substances Data Bank”. 2-HYDROXY-4-METHOXYBENZOPHENONE. National Library of Medicine (US), Division of Specialized Information Services.
8. P. Mukerjee, P. & Mysels, K. J. (1971), “Critical Micelle Concentration of Aqueous Surfactant Systems,” NSRDS-NBS 36, Washington, DC: US. Government Printing Office.9. Marrakchi S, Maibach HI (2006). “Sodium lauryl sulfate-induced irritation in the human face: regional and age-related differences”. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 19 (3): 177–80. doi:10.1159/000093112. PMID 16679819.
10. Thompson, A.; Griffin, P.; Stuetz, R.; Cartmell, E. (2005). “The Fate and Removal of Triclosan during Wastewater Treatment”. Water Environment Research. 77 (1): 63–7. Doi: 10.2175/106143005X41636. JSTOR 25045839. PMID 15765937.
11. Stone WL, Smith M. Therapeutic uses of antioxidant liposomes. Mol Biotech 2004; 27:217-30.
12. Shindo Y, Witt E, Packer L. Antioxidant defense mechanisms in murine epidermis and dermis and their response to ultraviolet light. J Invest Dermatol 1993; 100:260-5.
13. Britton G. Structure and properties of carotenoid in relation to function. FASEB J 9(15):1551-8 (1995 Dec).
14. Daniells, Stephen. “Lycopene Supplement Boosts Skin Carotenoid Levels.” NutraIngredients.com. 28 Jan, 2010. Web
15. Staff (2013-06-05). “Endocrine Disruptors”. NIEHS.16. Labrador V et al., “Cytotoxicity of butylated hydroxyanisole in Vero cells,” Cell biology and toxicology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 189-99, 2007.
17. Masui T et al, “Sequential changes of the forestomach of F344 rats, Syrian golden hamsters, and B6C3F1 mice treated with butylated hydroxyanisole,” Japanese journal of cancer research, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1083-90, 1986.
18. Botterweck AA, “Intake of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene and stomach cancer risk: results from analyses in the Netherlands Cohort Study,” Food and chemical toxicology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 599-605, 2000.
19. Krause M et al., Sunscreens: are they beneficial for health? An overview of endocrine disrupting properties of UV-filters. International Journal of Andrology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp 424-436, 2012.
20. Salvador A, Gadea I, Chisvert A, Pascual-Marti M. Supercritical fluid extraction and high performance liquid chromatography determination of homosalate in lipsticks. Chromatographia, vol. 54, no.11/12, pp 795-797, 2001. Available online: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02492501#page-1.
21. Jiménez-Díaz I, et al. Simultaneous determination of the UV-filters benzyl salicylate, phenyl salicylate, octyl salicylate, homosalate, 3-(4-methylbenzylidene) camphor and 3-benzylidene camphor in human placental tissue by LC-MS/MS. Assessment of their in vitro endocrine activity. Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 936, pp 80-87, 2013.22. Agents Classified by the IARC Monographs, Volumes 1–109 Online. Available online: http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/ClassificationsAlphaOrder.pdf. Accessed November 5, 2013.23. Matyaska MT, Pesek JJ, Yang L (2000). Screening method for determining the presence of N-nitrosadiethanolamine in cosmetics by opn-tubular capillary electro chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A. 887: 497-503.
24. Darbre, P. D. (2006). Environmental oestrogens, cosmetics and breast cancer. Best practice & research clinical endocrinology & metabolism, 20(1), 121-143.
25. Schlumpf, M., Cotton, B., Conscience, M., Haller, V., Steinmann, B., & Lichtensteiger, W. (2001). In vitro and in vivo estrogenicity of UV screens. Environmental health perspectives,109(3), 239.
26. Schlumpf, M., Schmid, P., Durrer, S., Conscience, M., Maerkel, K., Henseler, M., … & Lichtensteiger, W. (2004). Endocrine activity and developmental toxicity of cosmetic UV filters—an update. Toxicology, 205(1), 113-122.
27. Prusakiewicz JJ., et al., Parabens inhibit human skin estrogen sulfotransferase activity: Possible link to paraben estrogenic effects. Toxicology, vol. 232, pp 248-56, 2007.28. Darbre PD., et al., Paraben esters: review of recent studies of endocrine toxicity, absorption, esterase and human exposure, and discussion of potential human health risks. Journal of Applied Toxicology, 2008.29. Bitsch N, Dudas C, Körner W, Failing K, Biselli S, Rimkus G, Brunn H. 2002. Estrogenic activity of musk fragrances detected by the E-screen assay using human mcf-7 cells. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 43(3): 257-64
30. Ayuk-Takem L, Amissah F, Aguilar B, Lamango N. Inhibition of polyisoprenylated methylated protein methyl esterase by synthetic musks induces cell degeneration. Environmental Toxicology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp 466-477, 2014.31. Bonefeld-Jorgensen, E. C., Long, M., Bossi, R., Ayotte, P., Asmund, G., Krüger, T., … Dewailly, E. (2011). Perfluorinated compounds are related to breast cancer risk in Greenlandic Inuit: a case control study. Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source, 10, 88. doi:10.1186/1476-069X-10-88
32. Lyndsey A. Darrow, 1 Cheryl R. Stein,2 and Kyle Steenland. Serum Perfluorooctanoic Acid and Perfluorooctane Sulfonate Concentrations in Relation to Birth Outcomes in the Mid-Ohio Valley, 2005–2010. Environ Health Perspect. Oct 1, 2013; 121(10): 1207–1213.
33. USEPA. 2009. Final Contaminant Candidate List 3 Chemicals: Identifying the Universe, EPA 815-R-09-006. August 2009.
34. USEPA. 2009. Final Contaminant Candidate List 3 Chemicals: Screening to a PCCL, EPA 815-R-05-007. August, 2009
35. USEPA. 2009. Final Contaminant Candidate List 3 Chemicals: Classification of the PCCL to the CCL, EPA 815-R-09-008. August, 2009