1 System Centre Operations Manager (SCOM) is a part of Microsoft System centre. The main feature of OM is deploying, configuring, managing operations, monitoring them and managing all other devices and applications with the use of one console.Core components• Management server -? It is very first need for the management group. ? Administration and communication with the database can be possible with the help of server. ? Computing situations decide number of servers require. ? It works for administrating group configuration, makes database communication possible and does communication with agents.
• Databases –? Database has two types for Standard Operation Manager deployment.? One is Operational database. ? It has all configuring data required and stores monitored data from the operations manager for the management group. ? OD is SQL server database which collects short term data i.e. one week by default.
? Second is Data warehouse database.? It is also SQL server database and it saves alerted and monitored (reported) data. It collects long term data. ? It is most common while using as its possible to write it to both the databases together.• Agents –? This is service installed on computer which is being monitored by OM.
? The data based on rules, is being gathered by agent. ? It also monitors data which is included in management pack deployed.• Reporting ? This component is given in OM and SQL server reporting services.• Management pack? These packs have monitoring settings for both services and applications.
? Once it is installed, default settings start monitoring objects. ? Management Packs include following features.? Object discoveries – finds out objects which need to be discovered. Ex. WMI or registry keys. ? Monitors – it checks health of the object monitored.
Ex. SNMP, event logs etc. ? Rules – it needs to be used in order to make alerts for specific criteria. It is helpful to run timed commands just like deleting unnecessary files time by time. ? Tasks – it’s used for performing act on particular objects which are being monitored. For example, to start any service.
? Views – when we need to view a particular information for the object is needed, we use views from the operation console. ? Knowledge – gives in depth knowledge for alerts created and also a solution for the problem.? Override – it helps in changing pre-set monitoring settings given in management pack. ? Management packs are two types. Sealed which are read only and any change requires over ride. Unsealed is used without restriction.
• Operations console – it’s a basic component for SCOM.? It helps in viewing and communicating with alerts as well as data monitoring, managing and overriding unsealed packs, make reports on viewing, administrating settings.? It helps in creating customised work environment as per requirements. ? It includes toolbar, navigation pane, navigation buttons (monitor, authorise, report, administrate and my workplace), action pane, result pane, and details pane.• Web console – it is user interface which is based on web.
? It gives access to the monitored data and actions. ? After that these actions are working against already monitored PCs from operation console.? Unlike operation console it doesn’t have full access and has only two buttons i.
e. monitoring and my workplace views.• App advisor – it is web based console.? Its 30 pre-configured reports help in analysing situations as well as issues based on performance. It does that periodically. ? It checks health of the system by identifying trouble causing issues and eliminating them.
? It helps in following the noise in APM environment. • App diagnostic console – it keeps an eye on individual performance and trustworthy occurrences under workplace.? Problem causing occurrences can be set in on group and can be monitored under one roof.
? This console looks after these problem groups and identifies how they are affecting applications.? Its main aim is to provide in depth information about trouble causing events.Architecture of SCOM:• Group – the management group saves all data in SCOM. It works just like a directory and the minimum requirement for hosting is only one server.• Server – administration and communication with the database can be possible with the help of server.
Computing situations decide number of servers require. It works for administrating group configuration, makes database communication possible and does communication with agents.• Gateway server – two side authentication has to be activated amongst server and the agent before any transfer of data.
Gateway server is needed when server and agent are not under one boundary.• Operational database – OD is SQL server database which collects short term data i.e. one week by default.
It has all configuring data required and stores monitored data for the management group. • Data warehouse database – this one is also SQL server database and it saves alerted and monitored data. It collects long term data. A. 1 b User profiles to secure access to operations manager (Microsoft, 2016).
Profile Functions and accessAdministrator • It has access to all the privileges presented in OM.• Keep in mind that only active directory security group can be added here.Advanced Operator • Along with the administrator privileges, It is given access to privileges created for users who require limited alteration of monitoring configurations.• Can override the configuration of rules. • Monitors given target groups within given scope.
Application Monitoring Operator • It has access to privileges which are created for application diagnostics users. • Application monitoring operator makes users able to view application monitoring situations in application diagnostics.• Access to application advisor needs report or administrator profile.Author • Has access to privileges which are made for authoring of monitoring configuration.• Allow users to create, modify or delete the monitoring configuration for particular target within configured criteria.
Operator • Has access to privileges which are created for users and can operate view, task and alert. • Allows users to operate above tasks as per user configured criteria. Read-only operator • Has access to privileges which are created for read only access to the data.
• These users don’t have access to see task status.Report operator • Has access to privileges which gives access to see reports as per the given configuration.• Report operators have all data access within reporting data warehouse without any limit set.Report security administrator • Has privileges to integrate SQL report service security. In other words, it gives user operation manager user authority.• Security administrator has access to reports and can control the access for others as well.
• It can be a single owner account and has no scope. A.2 a) AGENT ROLE IN OPERATION MANAGER (Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.
com/en-us/system-center/scom/plan-planning-agent-deployment?view=sc-om-1807/agent deployment, 2018).• In System Centre Operations Manager, an agent is being installed as a service on PC. • An agent takes care of configured data and gathers further data to explore, report and checks health status of the objects which are monitored for example logical disk or SQL database.• After the health check, agent implements tasks as per the situation.
• An agent helps operations manager to monitor operating systems and other IT services installed for example web site.• An agent performs all the duties explained under management pack. • On the event of communication failure with management server, an agent runs services and holds collected data on the disk of computer which is being monitored. • An agent sends saved data to the management server once it is restored. b) AGENT DEPLOYMENT METHODS IN OPERATIONS MANAGER (Microsoft, https://docs.
microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/manage-security-overview?view=sc-om-1807, 2016).There are mainly three methods of deploying agent. Mostly agents are being installed with a combination of these methods as per the need. • With operations console – its widely used method. ? A management server has to connect computer and Remote Procedure Call.
? The management server action account or given credentials needs administrative access to the particular computer.• Installation image – in this method installation is manual to the base image which is being used to prepare other computers. ? Here, active directory integration is being used for automatically assigning a computer with the server upon the basic start-up.
• Manual – when the above methods cannot be used to install the agent, the manual installation is being used.? Just in case, remote procedure call is not present because of the firewall, the existing software distribution tool or manual run deploys the agent. ? When agent deployment is through discovery wizard, are being managed by operations console.
? Manually installed agents needs to be managed and upgraded manually. c) Use of Operations console to deploy agents (Microsoft, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc950509.aspx, 2009).
• Operations manager explores the environment for adaptable objects and then the agent is being deployed to the object which needs to be monitored. This process is a “discovery” process.• The benefit is, this process finds all the objects available.• Discovery process doesn’t give system information which is already in the use for monitoring by management group. • In a phased toll out process, new systems can be added.• Discovery wizard is used to add new systems and can also manage newly installed computers after initial deploying.
• When agents are installed on computers, SCOM sends credentials which includes local administrator rights for the particular computer. • Security risk is involved while sending credentials and operations manager security guide is used to any issue related to it. • If the correct security wizard is not available, agents can be installed manually.Thus to perform above actions, operations console is needed.
A.3 Management Pack Templates use (technet.microsoft, 2018). • Management pack templates are useful while creating and targeting object types. • They upgrade the management capabilities. • Attribute, monitor, object discovery, rules, tasks and all other necessary tools to monitor the objects are being created on its own in the particular management pack while creating custom object type.
• Custom objects can be seen in the console and can be managed like pre-installed objects in the management pack.• Essentials 2007 has most of the object types and it is easy to create custom objects as well. • The objects provided by essentials 2007 are just like MS. Word.• We can create new templates as well.
i.e. ASP.Net template and ASP;Net APP can be added by adding ASP.Net management packs.
Below are the available templates in operation manager management pack (technet.microsoft, 2018).TEMPLATE USEOLE DB DATA SOURCE • Creates synthetic transactions to monitor database availability.• You can find it in essentials 2007;Monitoring pane; synthetic transaction TCP PORT • Creates synthetic transactions to monitor service availability.• You can find it in essentials 2007;Monitoring pane; synthetic transaction WEB APPLICATION • Creates monitors/rules to authenticate web-based application availability.• You can find it in essentials 2007;Monitoring pane; web application WINDOWS SERVICE • Creates monitors/rules to authenticate windows service availability.
• The result can be found in essentials 2007;Monitoring pane;alert ; state viewsA.4 OPERATIONS MANAGER (Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/welcome?view=sc-om-1807)• Every firm depends on applications and services. The critical services are being managed by IT professionals.
• It is IT department’s responsibility to identify, understand and eliminate related issues before it becomes big. • The risk gets higher with more devices and applications within a firm.• Health, performance and monitoring the problems is being done with the help of Operations Console.
INFRASTRUCTURE of OM (Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/welcome?view=sc-om-1807)? MANAGEMENT SERVER• While running the management group that communicates with the database, the management server is the very first point.• We actually connect the management server to the management group while opening the operation console and connecting to the management group.• The management group depends on computing environment and can be different accordingly.• It can be single management server or multiple management server.
? OPERATIONAL DATABASE• This database is SQL server database.• The aim of operational database is to store all the configured and monitored data.• It retains short term data periodically. The default period is 7 days.? DATA WAREHOUSE DATABASE• SQL server saves data for historical reasons.
• The reports include current data which is written to the database of operations manager. This data is also being written to data warehouse database. • It retains long term data. ? Discovery and monetarisation of objects.
? Steps in object discovery.• The operations manager is being configured to search to manage errors on computers which are not yet managed.• OM is being installed on the computers which needs to be identified and discovered.
• The agent requests for the configured data and management server sends the requested data to agent. This data is being sent from the installed management packs and includes classes which needs to be discovered. • The agent compares configuration data and recognizes new objects and gives the collected information to the server.• Then the appropriate monitoring logic for the identified issue from the management pack is sent to agent.• The given logic is being applied by the agent. It includes rules/monitors, running workflow and returning the data to the management server.
A.5 I. New distributed application model• authoring pane (click and expand)>distributed applications• Open operation manager>operations console task pane>create new distributed application.
Open Distributed Application designer>give name in name box>go to template> go to net3 tier application>Click the Monitoring pane, and then expand the Monitoring node > Distributed Applications. II. Confirming objectsDistributed Application designer>give name in name box>under template>net3 tier application>Click the Monitoring pane, and then expand the Monitoring node > Distributed Applications. Go to details pane> go to Stock Trader distributed application > Open > Diagram View> find health explorer and verify.• View the components have been discovered in the distributed application and then close the Diagram view. A.
6 Application Performance Monitoring• The main aim of APM is to maintain and develop a technology to monitor applications.• APM monitors failure of codes, security, APP connectivity errors and so on.• APM can be configured either one way or both side i.e server side and the client side.
? SERVER SIDE MONITORING (PATTERSON, 2014).• Enable/disable performance event monitoring and alerts.• Enable/disable exception event monitoring and alerts.• To alter performance event threshold.
• To customise application group configuration which includes? Configuration of performance event monitoring and namespace/method based sensitivity? To enable/disable and configure monitoring threshold percentage and interval.? To create a server on which the configuration is being applied.? CLIENT SIDE MONITORING (BERKETT, 2018)• Enable/disable performance event monitoring and alerts.
• Enable/disable exception event monitoring and alerts.• To alter performance event threshold for page load, sensitivity, AJAX, WCF.• To define incoming request sampling percentage.• To filter IPv4 and IPv6 subnets.• To enable/disable and configure monitoring threshold percentage and interval.
• To collect data related to scripts, images, HTML components, exception stack etc.• To collect data which is related to load balancer header.• To define pages which need to be excluded from monitoring.A.7 a) server-side monitoring• Open LON-AP2, double click dinner, select DB decatcher,In SQL click dialog box, if the dialogue box reports that database is not attached, click start, close SQL stop start dialog box.
• Open LON-OM1, click start, click all programmes, click MS centre 2012, click operations manager, click operations console.• Select authoring pane, expand management pack console, click.net app performance monitoring.
Go to task pane, click add monitoring wizard. • Go on select monitoring type page in add monitoring wizard, make sure .net app performance type is selected. Click next.• Go to general properties page, go to name box, write dinner now app. Go to description box, write .
net app performance monitoring for dinner now app. • Go to select destination management pack click new. It will create management pack to store monitoring configuration.• go to general properties page, create a management pack wizard, in the name box write dinner now application performance monitoring. Go to description box, write application performance monitoring for the dinner now application, click next.• go to knowledge page, click create. to complete the creation of the management pack.• make sure the dinner now application performance monitoring management pack is chosen in the select destination management pack drop down list, click next • go to monitor page, click add. Go to object search dialog box, in the filter by part of name box, write dinner now, click search.• Go to available items, click the dinner now component, click add. the selected objects are now containing the dinner now component.• click ok and close the object search dialog box. dinner now is listed under the application components area. • Go to environment drop-down list, click production.• Go to targeted group, click create, go to name box, write dinner now servers in the description box, write all servers with the dinner application installed, in the selected destination management pack drop down list, select dinner now application performance monitoring, click next. • Go to explicit group member (optional) page, click add/remove objects. • Go to create group wizard-object selection dialogue box, go to search for drop down list, select windows computer, click search.• Go to available items list, select the LON-AP2.contoso.com computer object, and click add. the LON-AP2 computer object appears in the selected objects area. click ok to close the create group wizard object selection dialogue box.• Go to explicit group members page click next • Go to dynamic inclusion rules page click next • Go to add subgroups page click next• Go to exclude object from this group page, click create. the create group wizard dialogue box will be closed after the group is created.• Go to what to monitor page of the create a management pack wizard, click next• Go to configure the default monitoring settings, in the performance event threshold (ms) box, type 3000 nad then click next.• Go to summary page, click create. notice that the dinner now application-production instance of .NET application performance monitoring is now listed.b) update the environment .A.8 a) create group1 Go to LON-SM1 > Start > All Programs > Microsoft System Center 2012 > Service Manager > Service Manager Console2 Click the Library pane > Groups3 tasks pane > Create Group and start the CreateGroup Wizard4 Go to Before You Begin page > Next5 Go to General description, type the Group name Business Unit Servers.6 Go to Group description, type Contains servers running Business Unit Processes.7 Next to Management Pack > New > Create Management Pack window > type the name ContosoBUIT > OK8 Go to General page > Next9 Go to Included Members page > Add10 Go to Select objects page > change the Filter drop-down menu from Object to Computer.11 Click on LON-AP1 > Add > click OK12 selected object will appear in the list of Included Members > Next13 Go to Dynamic Members page > click Next14 Go to Subgroups page > click Next15 Go to Excluded Members page > click Next16 verify the details on the Summary page are as expected > click Create17 Go to Completion page > check that the group was created successfully > click Closeb) create an incident queue (frontlinesvc.oracle, 2013).1 Go to Service Manager Console > click the Library pane > click Queue2 Go to tasks pane > click Create Queue to start the Create Queue Wizard3 Go to Before You Begin page > click Next4 Go to General page > type the Queue name Business Unit Queue5 Go to Description > type Queue containing all incidents for the business unit6 Next to the Work item type > click the ellipsis button ( )7 Go to Select a Class page > click Incident > click OK8 Go to the Management Pack drop-down menu > select the ContosoBUIT management pack > click Next9 Go to Criteria page > under Availability Properties > type class to filter the list10 Next to the Classification category > click the check box > click Add.11 Go to criteria section > choose Enterprise Application Problems from the drop-down menu > click Next12 Review Summary page > click Create13 Go to completion page > click CloseA.9 custom operation manager resolution steps (M.|Goedtel, 2018) b) Deploying operations manager integration pack (ezzat, 2011). A.10 A) Hybrid cloud is a mix of trustworthy hardware, service of public cloud and platform of private cloud.• Customers can use hybrid cloud as per their exclusive needs (RACKSPACE, 2016).BENEFITS OF HYBRID CLOUD (netapp, 2017)Suitable for all purpose • Can store complex data from trustworthy hardware.• Having all benefits of public cloud.Cost effective • Cuts down ownership cost.• Shifting to op-ex model from capital intensive cost model. Enhanced security. • Confidential data is stored on faithful server at the time of running front end apps on public cloud.• Secured and responsive environment Innovative & future proof IT • Has benefits of developing cloud technologies.• Confidential information is staying within corporate data centre only.Dividing data into group • Sensitive information like customer details and financial data can be stored in private cloud.• Less sensitive information is uploaded on public cloud.Big data process • Not all big data can be uploaded on single cloud at the same speed on an ongoing base.• Big data can be uploaded using high scale public cloud if less sensitive.• More sensitive data stays on private cloud using fire wall. B) Risks of using hybrid cloud in an organisation (SULLIVAN, 2017)1. No data redundancy Hybrid cloud is sensitive while using. If redundant data copy is not given to data centres it becomes extreme risk. Hybrid cloud Administrators don’t have much experience which can be risky.2. Compliance it’s must to make sure that private and public cloud are in compliance. They both should be in co-ordination as well.3. Poor service level agreement When it comes to private cloud, provider is not sure about meeting user expectations. Public cloud agreements are easy to maintain. So overall you cannot commit utmost service because of public cloud issues.4. Managing Risk Hybrid cloud uses complex configurations for running latest application programming interfaces. Using new technology involves unidentified risks which are hard to manage.5. security management Hybrid cloud has to methods for security. One is to create replica to control both clouds and keep secured data synchronized. The other is to use identity management service which can be used in both clouds. It is a challenge to select one of this as they both have their pros and cons.C) Security feature of hybrid cloud (Otton, 2018).• Hybrid cloud is a mix of public and private cloud. Private cloud’s security is exclusive but the public cloud does not have that strong security. • Hybrid cloud has to have a security in which public cloud is also covered with the same security features as private cloud for the overall security purpose. • While using hybrid cloud firms share their data with users as well which requires both side access and involves a risk for both. • Security and compliance is mandatory for all firm’s confidential data.• Handling hybrid cloud requires particular security protocols and resources.• Thus security is an important feature in hybrid cloud. A.11 cloud bursting (Barry, 2018).Cloud bursting is related to hybrid clouds. The concept of cloud bursting is where a particular application works through private cloud or in local environment. But in case of any need of the additional resource like power, storage etc. it bursts with the public cloud for the extra services needed. Issues related to cloud bursting (Nikl, 2017)• Most of its features are designed in way which needs to be used as a public cloud. But the idea is to use the services as a private cloud on the first place. • The newly built infrastructure for the private cloud is short-sighted and it does not cop up with capacity demand.• Cloud bursting is complicated in terms of cost. Firstly, the user buys the concept but then at the time of bursting the user needs to depreciate it. In other words, the user buys the upfront model but has to choose the lower model with the time. Which means the cost paid is always higher than the usage.• Creating a cloud bursting APP is a complex and time consuming task as it needs data to be on public cloud on an ongoing basis as well. A.12 Reliable connectivity of clouds than public internet (Morris, 2018)Feature Cloud Public InternetAdaption • Though cloud has strong infrastructure, it adapts some of the areas to provide best services. • For example, regulatory compliance, data safety security concerns and so on. • Public internet does not have adaption facilities and cannot provide extra features.Cloud accessibility • Critical data needs to be accessed by authorised users only. Cloud services can restrict the access as per requirement. • Public internet gives access to everyone without restriction and thus only non-critical data can be shared here.Service accessibility • It recovers critical data faster than the less critical one in case of any unwanted event. • User can get high level of security on the particular data by spending more. • It does not divide data into groups and in case of any unwanted event and takes the same time to recover for all the data.Merge of Operating system and service consolidate • It has capability of running different application on a single operating system. Though it involves some extra cost but it solves the most complicated issue. • Public internet does not have this kind of feature and sometimes it cannot support applications which requires different Operating system.Advantages of partnership • Cloud providers need software hardware and network support as all functions depend on it only. Enterprise clouds never compromise with quality though it is expensive. • Public internet gets software hardware and network support at possible lowest prices and they might compromise the quality.BibliographyBarry, D. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.service-architecture.com/articles/cloud-computing/cloud_bursting.html.BERKETT, A. (2018). https://conversionxl.com/blog/server-side-vs-client-side-ab-testing-tools-whats-the-difference/. ezzat, m. (2011). https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/bettertogether/2011/11/20/orchestrator-2012-deployment-configuration-step-by-step-part-5-integration-pack/. frontlinesvc.oracle. (2013). https://telus.frontlinesvc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1840/~/creating-and-using-incident-queues. M.|Goedtel. (2018). https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/manage-console-scope-views?view=sc-om-1807. Microsoft. (2009, may). https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc950509.aspx. Microsoft. (2016). https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/manage-security-overview?view=sc-om-1807. Microsoft. (2018, july). https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/plan-planning-agent-deployment?view=sc-om-1807/agent deployment. Microsoft. (n.d.). https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/welcome?view=sc-om-1807. Morris, K. (2018). https://www.networkworld.com/article/2220617/tech-debates/enterprise-wan-connectivity–mpls-vpn-vs–public-internet.html. netapp. (2017). https://www.netapp.com/us/info/what-is-hybrid-cloud.aspx. Nikl, T. (2017, january 17). https://velostrata.com/blog/overcoming-the-four-biggest-roadblocks-to-cloud-bursting-with-ease-2/. Otton, T. (2018). https://exchange.telstra.com.au/why-its-so-important-to-build-a-secure-hybrid-cloud/. PATTERSON, A. (2014). https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/momteam/2013/02/08/getting-started-with-client-side-monitoring-in-operations-manager-2012/. RACKSPACE. (2016). https://www.rackspace.com/library/hybrid-cloud-benefits. SULLIVAN, D. (2017). https://searchcloudcomputing.techtarget.com/tip/Hybrid-cloud-Its-not-as-secure-as-you-think. technet.microsoft. (2018). https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730400.aspx.